4.04.2007

Dr. Dog from Philadelphia



TAXI: lead woof+mud distortion guitar, vocals
TABLES: finger bass, vocals, rhythm stomp
TEXT: keyboardings, some guitar/singing
TROUBLE: trapset, harmonies, embellishments
THANKS: multi-string guitar, full-grip chords, vocal nuances

Meet Dr. Dog. If you are, as of yet, unfamiliar with their music, they are one of the better reasons to own one of those new-fangled hi-fi devices. I was first introduced to them in 2005 after their second full-length album, Easy Beat, was released. The immediate reaction one tends to emit to that particular work is, "Let It Be Era Beatles," and when it's done properly, there's nothing wrong with sounding like the single most influential rock band in the history of music. That's still the way I describe them to friends, skeptical musical acquaintances, people I meet at the bus stop, and pretty much anyone that accidentally wanders into my Cone of Uncertainty. You see, ever since I heard that album, I've been on a crusade to convert every indifferent soul I encounter to the church of Dr. Dog. It definitely helped my efforts that the music scene's All-Time QB, Pitchforkmedia, gave that album a 4.4 out of 10 on it's rating scale. I wanted everybody to realize that music is just sound hitting your ears (actually, it's hitting you all over), and that you don't always (you sometimes do) have to dissect the impetus behind a recording to enjoy it. You can just get hit with it. That's what Dr. Dog did. They hit me.

Their latest album is called We All Belong, and it picks up where Easy Beat leaves off. It's music that makes you nostalgic for right now.

Here are the guys doing "Ain't It Strange" at Criminal Records in Atlanta, GA:


I would also recommend you check out their thoroughly charming video for "My Old Ways" over at the old YouTube.

0 comments: